EXECUTIVE ORDER B-49-18
WHEREAS the Constitution of the United States requires an enumeration of the population every ten years to apportion congressional representation among the states; and
WHEREAS pursuant to Section 141 of Title 13 of the United States Code, the next federal decennial census of the population will be taken on the first day of April, 2020; and
WHEREAS a complete and accurate count of California’s population is essential to the State, as the census count determines congressional representation, state redistricting, federal formula grant allocations and the distribution of state subvention funds for an entire decade until the next decennial census is taken; and
WHEREAS there are over 70 federal programs benefiting California that use census enumerations and population numbers as part of their funding formulas, including formulas for education, health, and human services programs; and
WHEREAS the United States Census Bureau will endeavor to count every person in the nation, and many states will be initiating programs to promote the census; and
WHEREAS it is vitally important for California to do everything it can to ensure that every Californian is counted in the upcoming census.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, EDMUND G. BROWN Jr., Governor of the State of California, in accordance with the authority vested in me by the Constitution and statutes of the State of California, do hereby issue this Order to become effective immediately:
- The California Complete Count Committee (Committee) is hereby established. The members of the Committee shall serve without compensation and at the pleasure of the Governor. The Committee shall include one member appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly and one member appointed by the Senate President pro Tempore.
- The Committee will develop, recommend, and assist in the administration of a census outreach strategy to encourage full participation in the 2020 federal decennial census of population required by Section 141 of Title 13 of the United States Code.
- The census outreach strategy shall include, but not be limited to, State agency initiatives to encourage participation in the 2020 Census, the establishment and support of school-based outreach programs, partnerships with non-profit community-based organizations, and a multi-lingual, multi-media campaign designed to ensure an accurate and complete count of California’s population.
- In carrying out its duties, the Committee may appoint working groups as it deems appropriate, and shall solicit participation from relevant experts and practitioners involved in census issues.
- The California Complete Count effort will be coordinated out of the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR), which shall enlist all State agencies and departments within the executive branch to identify effective methods of outreach to Californians, and to provide resources to ensure the outreach program is successful and that all Californians are counted. Each agency and department within the executive branch shall inform OPR of its designated census point person for purposes of this California Complete Count effort. All agencies and departments within the executive branch shall cooperate with the Committee and provide support to the Committee.
- The Committee shall submit an initial report to me by October 1, 2018, containing its recommended outreach strategy to encourage full participation and avoid an undercount in the 2020 Census. The Committee shall submit interim reports every January 1 and June 30 thereafter, with a final report no later than June 30. 2021, specifying actual outreach efforts and results that were implemented for the 2020 Census.
IT IS FURTHER REQUESTED that other entities, including constitutional offices, the offices of the legislative and judicial branches, and local agencies, shall cooperate fully and provide support to the Committee.
This Order is not intended to create, and does not create, any rights or benefits, whether substantive or procedural, or enforceable at law or in equity, against the State of California or its agencies, departments, entities, officers, employees, or any other person.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 13th day of April, 2018.
EDMUND G. BROWN JR. Governor of California