The California Census Office Events
The California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office is committed to engaging its many partners, from counties to Tribal Governments, education institutions, community-based organizations, and more, through events, webinars, meetings, convenings, and consultations. To request the California Census Office at a speaking engagement or event, please use the request form below.
2019 Regional Convenings and Implementation Plan Workshops
Regional convenings will be conducted from June – September 2019 to continue building regional capacity for outreach. A morning session will bring together community leaders and regional state contractors to continue collaborating on reaching California’s hard–to–count populations to achieve a complete count. An afternoon workshop for state contractors will facilitate the development of effective and efficient implementation plans – please reach out to the Census Office Outreach contact to receive a registration link to the afternoon session.
2019 Locations and Dates:
- Palm Desert – June 5, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-5-19 Palm Desert Presentation (PDF)
- Riverside – June 12, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-12-19 Riverside Presentation (PDF)
- San Bernardino – June 14, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-14-19 San Bernardino Presentation (PDF)
- Sacramento – June 17, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-17-19 Sacramento Presentation (PDF)
- Richmond – June 19, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-19-19 Richmond General Presentation (PDF)
Solano County Presentation (PDF)
Region 3 ACBO Presentation (PDF)
Contra Costa Presentation (PDF)
Marin County Presentation (PDF)
- Red Bluff – June 24, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
6-19-19 Red Bluff Presentation (PDF)
- Salinas – July 17, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Register here)
- San Francisco – July 25, 11:15 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (Register here)
- Eureka– July 31, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Register here)
- Santa Rosa – August 2, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Register here)
- Merced – August 5, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Fresno – August 6, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Bakersfield – August 7, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Oxnard – August 8, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- El Centro – August 14, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- San Diego – August 16, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Orange – August 23, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Stockton – August 26, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Huntington Park – September 5, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Long Beach – September 6, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- El Monte – September 11, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- South Los Angeles – September 18, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Palmdale – September 20, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- San Fernando – September 25, 2019, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Los Angeles – TBD
- Redwood City – TBD
- San Luis Obispo – POSTPONED
Please note dates are subject to change
Friday, May 17 – Language and Communication Access Plan Webinar
May 17th Play recording (21 min)
Recording password: TrJXCRm3
Tuesday, April 30 – Informational Webinar: Inclusion of People with Disabilities
- April 30th Recording
- April 30th Presentation (PDF)
- Attachment: Mental Health Resource List (PDF)
- Attachment: 2020 Census Disability Community Toolkit
Friday, April 5, 2019 – Webinar on K-12 County Office of Education (COE) Funding
Tuesday, March 19, 2019 – Informational Webinar: Overview of 2020 Census Non-English Language Support
March 1, 2019 – Protecting the Confidentiality of 2020 Census Statistics
January 30, 2019: Service Based Enumeration, Group Quarters and Counting Areas Affected by California Wildfires
February 20, 2019: San Joaquin Valley Research: Latino Immigrants’ Views on the Citizenship Question and Implications for Census 2020 Strategy
February 21, 2019: Statewide Webinar on Rural Outreach and Engagement
Outreach and Public Relations RFP Bidders’ Conference – March 29, 2019
The Census Office will hold a Bidders’ Conference on March 29, 2019 in Sacramento for prime contractors and subcontractors interested in the state’s Census 2020 Outreach and Public Relations Request for Proposal (RFP). All potential vendors are encouraged to attend, including ethnic media and creative subcontractors.
The Bidders’ Conference will be an opportunity for all potential public relations and media bidders to learn about the state’s Census 2020 campaign, the priorities of the state, key requirements and deliverables of the RFP, and resources available to potential bidders. Following the Outreach and Public Relations RFP presentation, the Census Office will host a question and answer session, in which attendees will be invited to ask questions pertaining to the presentation and RFP.
Please view the RFP here.
The California Census Office recently held a Bidders’ Conference, view the agenda and participant information here.
Are you an interested subcontractor? You can register your interest at https://cacensus.supportsystem.com/.
2020 Census Call to Action – Be Counted, California! – April 2, 2019
The 2020 Census Call to Action is a week long effort promoting California’s efforts to ensure a complete and accurate count in California – one year out from Census Day. The California Census Office will be holding a press conference on April 2 at 11 a.m. with key state leaders to kick-off this week of action.
The California Census Office is asking stakeholders and partners to hold local call to action events, meet with elected representatives and connect with the community between April 1-7. Share your events with the California Census Office – send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will feature the details on the website and social media. Promoting the event on social media? Add the hashtag #BeCountedCA and #CaliforniaForAll to your post. For general social media, you can always use #CACensus #Census2020.
Need resources to help you throw your own event? Click here.
April 2, 2019
Time: 11 a.m.
Location: California State Capitol – Governor’s Office
Watch live here
Stakeholder/partner April 2019 kick-off events:
Census 2020 Press Conference and Rally – Los Angeles County – April 1 at 9 a.m.
200 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Mezzanine Level of Grand Park (located in downtown Los Angeles between The Music Center and City Hall)
View the Press Conference information here
San Mateo County – April 1 from 1:30-4 p.m.
Redwood City, CA 94063
RSVP for San Mateo here
Celebrate the Kick-Off to the 2020 Census – Sacramento County – April 10 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Tsakopoulos Library Galleria
828 I Street
View the Kick-Off event flyer here
Orange County Census Kickoff by County Board of Supervisors
April 16, 2019, 9 a.m. -11 a.m.
Board Hearing Room, Hall of Administration
333 W. Santa Ana Blvd.
Santa Ana, CA 92701
County Kick-Off Orientations
California Complete Count – County Kick-Off Orientations
Sessions are optional, but highly encouraged to attend. Please RSVP for the meeting that you plan to attend (in person or by phone).
April 3, 2019 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Charitable Ventures of Orange County
4041 MacArthur Blvd. Suite 510
Newport Beach, CA 92660
240-454-0887, access code 800033176
- April 3rd Agenda (PDF)
- April 3rd Presentation (PDF)
- April 3rd County FAQs
- April 3rd Outreach team contact information
March 27, 2019 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
5200 N. Lake Road – Half Dome Building #180
(Cross streets: Rancher Rd/Emigrant Pass)
Merced, CA 95340
240-454-0887, access code 801775940
- March 27th Agenda (PDF)
- March 27th Presentation (PDF)
- March 27th County FAQs
- March 27th Outreach team contact information
March 20, 2019 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
California Complete Count Census 2020 Office
400 R Street, Suite 359
Sacramento, CA 95814
240-454-0887, access code 804228890
- March 20th Agenda (PDF)
- March 20th Presentation (PDF)
- March 20th County FAQs
- March 20th Outreach team contact information
- Introduction and Assignments of California Complete Count Census 2020 Regional Program Managers
- County Roles and Responsibilities
- Contract Execution Process and Review of Deliverables Schedule
- Strategic Plans
- Strategic Implementation Workshops Overview – Planned for Summer 2019
- Pre-work involved in preparation for the workshops and the County’s Role on the Planning Committee
- Statewide Outreach and Rapid Deployment (SwORD) Overview Monthly Meetings with Regional Program Managers and Reporting – Expectations and Information
- Question and Answer Session
- Next Steps
Additional information and details to follow. If you have any questions, please contact your Regional Program Manager, see contact information on the outreach team page.
Tribal Consultations and Webinars
- Stay tuned!
Statewide Tribal Outreach and Engagement Webinar – January 8, 2019 – Webinar Invitation
- January 8th Webinar Recording
- January 8th Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- U.S. Census Bureau Jobs in California
- Tribal Government Toolkit
Three Tribal Government consultations were conducted in October and November 2018 in Trinidad (Northern California), Sacramento (Central California), and Pala (Southern California).
Committee Meetings - Agendas and Resources
California Complete Count Committee
2019 Committee Meetings
- March 12, 2019
- June 4, 2019
June 4th Notice and Public Meeting Agenda (PDF)
June 4th Presentation (PDF) and June 4th Updated Presentation (PDF)
June 4th Draft Governor's Report (PDF)
Watch the archived June 4th meeting here (The Census Office is in the process of providing closed captioning for this video.)
- September 17, 2019
- December 3, 2019
2018 Statewide Readiness Assessment Regional Convenings
Using lessons learned from 2000 and 2010, the Census Office embarked on an assessment of regions across the state. Twenty-four (23 state-sponsored and one locally sponsored) readiness assessment convenings were conducted in the Spring and Summer of 2018.
These convenings brought the early partners in each area to heighten relationships between key organizations as they built regional networks to begin planning efforts. The Census Office sought to build a culture of collaboration and to educate and identify partners who would play a key role in establishing local complete count committees and helping build capacity among community-based organizations (CBOs) that will serve as trusted messengers during the Census outreach campaign.
Convening sessions included focus groups and were designed for participants to identify available and needed partners for effective outreach strategies to targeted communities. Those discussions fed directly into planning for the launch of local complete count committees.
These were the 2018 convening locations:
- Sacramento – April 19, 2018
- Oakland – May 1, 2018
- Fresno – May 8, 2018
- Bakersfield – May 9, 2018
- Ukiah – May 16, 2018
- Bayside – May 17, 2018
- Redding – May 18, 2018
- Riverside – May 23, 2018
- Palm Desert – May 24, 2018
- Salinas – May 31, 2018
- Mountain View – June 1, 2018
- Lompoc – June 6, 2018
- Imperial – June 7, 2018
- Modesto – June 18, 2018
- San Gabriel Valley – June 26, 2018
- San Fernando Valley – June 27, 2018
- San Bernardino – June 28, 2018
- Santa Ana – June 29, 2018
- San Diego – July 10, 2018
- Oxnard – July 11, 2018
- San Francisco – July 12, 2018
- South Los Angeles – August 1, 2018
- Long Beach – August 2, 2018
2018 Convening Resources
Department of Finance/Demographic Research Unit
U.S. Census Bureau
California U.S. Census Bureau Contacts (PDF) | U.S. Census Bureau Jobs in California | Local Complete Count Committees Brochure (PDF) | Local Complete Count Committees Guide (PDF) | Local Complete Count Committee Update (PDF) | Road to the 2020 Census | Uses of Census Data in Federal Funds Distribution | Outreach Toolkit | Why We Ask Fact Sheet (PDF)
California Complete Count
Other Archived Events
You may also be interested in viewing the following hearings for the Assembly Select Committee on the Census and the Senate Select Committee on the 2020 United States Census:
Speaking and Meeting Requests
The California Complete Count Office maintains partnerships with key community stakeholders, including community-based organizations, academic institutions, local, state and federal governments, foundations, and many other groups committed to ensuring a complete count of all Californians in the 2020 Census.
How to Submit a Request
Please submit the requested information below at least three weeks prior to the date of your event.
Please fill out the Census Meeting/Speaker Request Form (Word Request Form or PDF Request Form) and attach it to Census2020events@census.ca.gov with "Speaker Request" or "Meeting Request" in the subject line.
You should receive an initial response within two business days. Please note, if you're looking to find out more information on the U.S. Census Bureau's efforts federally, including having them provide "Census 101" information at your meeting/event, please contact them directly.
For more information, or to follow up on your request, please call 916-852-2020. Please note, the California Complete Count Office does not accept gifts or payment for speaking at your event.
California Census Office Headquarters - Sacramento
400 R St., Suite 359
Sacramento, CA 95811
Looking to reach the U.S. Census Bureau? Click here to contact them.