FOR PLANNING PURPOSES: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
MEDIA CONTACT: Diana.Crofts-Pelayo@census.ca.gov 916-214-9266 (cell)
California Kicks Off Census Efforts One Year from Census Day
SACRAMENTO – On April 2, 2019 at 11 a.m., state leaders, key advocates and community members will highlight California’s efforts to ensure a complete and accurate Census count one year out from Census Day 2020.
This event is part of a week-long effort from April 1-7 known as the 2020 Census Call to Action where stakeholders and partners will be holding similar events throughout California.
- Ditas Katague, Director, California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office
- Eleni Kounalakis, California Lieutenant Governor
- Dolores Huerta, Founder & President of the Dolores Huerta Foundation
- Assemblymember Marc Berman, Chair, Assembly Select Committee on the Census
- Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon
- Senator Richard Pan, Co-Chair, Senate Select Committee on the 2020 United States Census
- Regina Wilson, Director, California Black Media and California Complete Count Committee member
- Gabby Trejo, Co-Chair, Sacramento Community Complete Count Committee & Executive Director, Sacramento Area Congregations Together
- Lorenda Sanchez, Executive Director, California Indian Manpower Consortium
- Senator Tom Umberg, Co-Chair, Senate Select Committee on the 2020 United States Census
WHAT: 2020 Census Call to Action Press Conference
WHEN: Tuesday, April 2 @ 11 a.m.
WHERE: Governor’s Office (State Capitol in Sacramento – 1st floor)
Watch the event live here – a sign language interpreter will be available.
Once each decade, the U.S. Census Bureau attempts to count every person in the United States. The next enumeration will be April 1, 2020 and will be the first to rely heavily on online responses.
California leaders have invested $100.3 million toward a statewide outreach and communication campaign. Governor Newsom’s 2019-20 proposed Budget includes an additional $54 million to bolster the State’s efforts. In total this is a proposed $154.3 million investment for the 2020 Census.
The California Complete Count – Census 2020 Mission
Ensure that Californians get their fair share of federal resources and Congressional representation by encouraging the full participation of all Californians in Census 2020.