FOR PLANNING PURPOSES: Friday, August 16, 2019
MEDIA CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org 916-214-9266 (cell)
California Leaders to Attend San Diego County 2020 Census Workshop
SAN DIEGO – On Friday, August 16, the California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office will meet with local partners in San Diego to coordinate the State’s 2020 Census strategy. Secretary of State Alex Padilla, Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins and other special guests will attend and underscore the importance of a complete count in 2020. This event is one in a series of regional Census Convenings and Implementation Plan Workshops (IPW) statewide.
The morning session of the 2020 Census Convening is open to the public and will bring together community leaders, advocates, and regional partners striving toward a complete count in California.
- Honorable Alex Padilla, Secretary of State, and California Complete Count Committee Chair
- Senator Toni Atkins, Senate President pro Tempore, SD 39, California State Senate
- Senator Ben Hueso, California State Senate, SD-40
- Assembly Member Lorena Gonzalez, California State Assembly, AD-80,
- Assembly Member Dr. Shirley Weber, California State Assembly, AD-79
- Ditas Katague, Director, California Complete Count Census 2020 (CCC)
- Leadership from the Educational Cultural Complex (ECC) – San Diego Community College District
- Local representatives from San Diego County
- Statewide Community-Based Organization and Regional Administrative Community-Based representatives
WHEN: Friday, August 16 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Media should arrive by 9:45 a.m. for interviews); all media should RSVP at email@example.com
WHERE: Educational Cultural Complex (ECC)
4343 Ocean View Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92113
Parking available in large parking lot at no cost.
DATA: To see data on the hard-to-count populations in cities, Congressional, and Legislative districts in San Diego, please visit: https://census.ca.gov/htcfactsheets/
To learn more about the California Hard-to-Count Index, please visit: https://census.ca.gov/california-htc/. To view the data on the California Hard-to-Count Interactive map, please visit: https://census.ca.gov/HTC-map/
Leading characteristics in San Diego County’s hard-to-count census tracts:
- Renter-occupied units
- Non-high school graduates
- Children under 5
Leading characteristics in San Diego City’s hard-to-count census tracts:
- Multi-unit structures
- Non-family households
- Renter-occupied units
Following the public convening, contracted partners and community leaders will meet to collaborate to ensure the area’s hard–to–count populations are reached and informed about the importance of the 2020 Census, and know how to participate.
Statewide regional convenings will be conducted through September of 2019 to activate outreach efforts for the 2020 Census. A list of convening/IPW locations is available on the Census Office website at census.ca.gov/events.
About California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office
Once each decade, the U.S. Census Bureau attempts to count every person in the United States. The next enumeration will be April 1, 2020 and will be the first to rely heavily on online responses. California leaders have invested $187.2 million toward a statewide outreach and communication campaign. For more information, please go to census.ca.gov.